Friday, September 4, 2009

Slow Rise, Take It Easy




So, I've always had a problem with Cutthroats. I've never really fished a stream where they were the primary fish. One of the home waters has enough of them in it to where about 15% of the stikes you get are from cutts, but I almost always miss them. I get used to striking on browns, and then when a big cutt drifts up, I'm almost always early. When the chance came to fish a small river full of decent cutts came up, I was more than willing. I think it helped to know that it would be all cutts, so I kept thinking to myself, " Take it easy on the strike. Let that slow rise happen and then just gently tighten up." Worked wonders. I stilled missed some fish, but I defintiely did better. Plus, the scenery and the fish were stunning. I was the only angler on the water, the streamside log said the only one in the past 4 days. Go find you a little Cutt water and remember "Slow rise, take it easy."


No comments:

Post a Comment